Chicken breasts stuffed with red and green pepper slices and basted with herbed butter sauce. Serve on a bed of cooked spinach and watercress with more sauce spooned over the top.
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
3 tbsp. canola oil, divided
1 red bell pepper, julienned
1 yellow bell pepper, julienned
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
3 tbsp. butter (divided)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp. lemon zest
1 tbsp. fresh thyme
3 cup chicken stock
1 chicken bouillon cube
1⁄2 pound spinach leaves
1⁄2 pound watercress
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. In sauté pan over med.-low heat, warm 1 tbsp. oil. Add bell peppers; cook over med.-low heat about 5 min; cool.
2. Cut slits in underside of breasts, creating pockets; stuff with peppers. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
3. In large, ovenproof sauté pan, warm 2 tbsp. oil. Add chicken; sear 2 min. Place pan in oven; cook 8 min., then turn and cook an additional 4 min.
4. Combine stock and bouillon cube in saucepan; bring to a simmer. Add spinach and watercress; stir until wilted. Drain greens, reserving stock. Boil stock until reduced and slightly thickened, about 5 min. Whisk in 1 tbsp. butter.
5. Remove pan from oven, place over med. heat, and add remaining butter, garlic, lemon zest, and thyme. Baste chicken with butter sauce for 30 sec.; remove pan from heat.
6. To serve, top spinach and watercress with chicken. Spoon sauce over greens.