|Day Part||Dinner, Lunch, Snack|
|Menu Part||Appetizer/Small Plate|
Pinto beans form the base for this garlicky version of hummus. lemon juice and tahini brighten the flavors. The feta mint-relish adds some refreshing zip and the delicious dip is great spread on warm pita.
3 cups pinto beans, soaked, rinsed, drained
2 1⁄4 cups red onion, finely diced
1 tbsp. garlic, minced
3 bay leaves
1 tbsp. oregano, dried
7 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
3 tsp. cumin, ground
2 1⁄2 tbsp. kosher salt
2 1⁄2 cups scallions, thinly sliced
1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1⁄4 cup olive oil
1⁄4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
6 tbsp. lemon juice
1⁄2 cup mint leaves, sliced
2 tbsp. roasted garlic puree
1⁄2 cup tahini
1⁄4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1. In a stockpot over high heat, combine beans, onion, garlic, bay leaf, oregano and stock. Bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat and simmer 30-40 min. until beans are tender. Remove from heat and add cumin and salt. Stir and let stand 15 min. before draining. Reserve.
3. In a bowl, combine 2 cups beans, 1⁄2 cup scallions, feta cheese, olive oil, red pepper flakes, 2 tbsp. lemon juice and 2 tsp. mint. Toss gently to combine.
4. In a food processor, coarsely puree remaining beans and scallions and roasted garlic. Add tahini, cayenne pepper, remaining mint and lemon juice, and process until pureed. Season to taste and reserve.
5. Serve hummus on a plate topped with feta-mint relish and warm pita bread. Garnish with additional cayenne pepper and olive oil, if desired.