Plantain-Coated Chicken Breasts
These tender chicken breasts are encased in a delightful plantain breading. The golden, crusty chicken is served on a bed of black bean puree and topped with cheese.
8 large green plantains
Vegetable oil, as needed
8 chicken breasts
4 cups black bean puree
1⁄4 lb. queso blanco or other mild cheese, finely chopped
- Make a cut down the side of each plantain and soak in warm water for 10-15 min. Peel away skin and thinly slice plantains on mandolin.
- In a large pot of hot oil, fry plantains until golden. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Transfer plantains to food processor and mix until plantains are coarse crumbs. Transfer plantain crumbs to a plate.
- In a small bowl, mix together eggs and 2 tbsp. water. Dip seasoned chicken breast in the egg, then in the plantains.
- In a large sauté pan, heat oil until hot but not smoking. Sauté chicken, crust side down about 3 min. or until golden. Turn over, lower heat, and cook another 6 min., or until done.
Serve on black bean puree with chopped queso blanco cheese.