Potato-Goat Cheese Packets
Source: Recipe from Chef Eric Aubriot
These goat cheese and potato packets take a little bit of effort, but the stunning presentation that results is well worth it. This dish is a gourmet delight.
1⁄2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
1 oz. olive oil
1⁄2 oz. champagne vinegar
1⁄2 oz. walnut oil
Salt and pepper, as needed
1 small romaine lettuce
1 large Idaho potato
4 oz. goat cheese
2 slices sourdough bread, cut into 5-in. circles
- To make the vinaigrette, add walnuts to a small bowl and combine with olive oil, vinegar, and walnut oil; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove outer leaves of romaine and make two small bundles with inner spears.
- Peel potato and slice 4 thin pieces length-wise on a mandoline. Place on a parchment paper-covered sheet pan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 5 min. until translucent and allow to cool. Make 2 crosses with the potatoes and place 2-oz. sq. shapes of goat cheese in the center of each cross. Fold over potato flaps and place in refrigerator for at least 15 min.
- Cut smaller circles out of the sourdough slices. Heat an oil coated, non-stick pan and sauté the goat cheese packets and bread circles until golden brown; place on paper towel.
Place goat cheese packets on plates, toss romaine with vinaigrette and place each bundle of romaine spears through each of the holes of croutons; garnish with cracked black pepper and serve.