These potato based yeast rolls are full of earthy flavor. Scented with garlic and sage, they make a great addition to any bread basket.
4 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
1⁄3 cup lukewarm potato water
2 heads garlic, roasted and peeled
1 tbsp. dry yeast
3 tbsp. olive oil
5 cups flour
2 tsp. salt
1⁄2 cup fresh sage, chopped
- Boil potatoes in salted water until soft. Reserve potato water and set aside. On a large sheet pan, air dry potatoes until cool, then mash garlic into potatoes.
- Stir yeast into warm potato water and allow to rest for 5 min.
- In a large mixer, combine potatoes, oil and yeast and mix on low speed until fully incorporated.
- Gradually add flour and salt and mix on low speed 2-3 min. Increase speed and mix for 11-15 min., gradually adding sage.
- Allow dough to rise for 30 min.; punch down dough and shape into rolls. Place rolls in a greased round pan, cover and let rise for 30 min.
- Bake about 50 min. until interior temperature is approx. 200° F.