Redneck Eggs Benedict
Turkey sausage gravy is the highlight of these Eggs Benedict. Turkey ham on a buttermilk biscuit is topped with a cooked egg and the rich gravy. Hash browns on the side complete this filling breakfst dish.
1 lb. turkey sausage
3/4 cup unsalted butter
1 cup sweet onion, diced
2 cups red bell pepper, seeded and minced
3/4 cup flour
1 1/2 quarts milk
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
24 large eggs
12, 3-inch round buttermilk biscuits
24, 1-oz slices turkey ham, heated
Cooked hash-brown potatoes as needed
Fresh fruit as needed
- If required, remove turkey sausage from casing. Over medium heat, cook sausage, breaking into small pieces. Cook until sausage is no longer pink. Remove from pan and reserve.
- In same skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat, add onion and bell peppers. Saute until vegetables are tender. Remove from pan and reserve.
- Melt remaining butter over medium-low heat. Add flour; cook until mixture is golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Slowly whisk in milk. Continue stirring until gravy bubbles and is thick. Return cooked sausage and vegetables to gravy. Season with salt, black pepper and cayenne.
- Reserve for service.
- For each serving, fry two eggs per order. Split and warm each biscuit. Place on warmed dinner plate.
- Top each biscuit half with a 1-ounce slice heated turkey ham. Cover each with fried egg.
- Ladle 2 to 3 ounces Turkey Sausage Gravy atop eggs. Serve with hash-browned potatoes and garnish with fresh fruit.