Source: Chef Corey Shoemaker
For this salad, Chef Corey Shoemaker pulls the leaves from baby kale “when they’re young and tender” and tosses them raw with beets that have been gently roasted with a little grape seed oil. “I use grape seed because it’s neutral and treats the vegetables like ‘gold,’ adding no flavor of its own,” he explains.
1/4 cup Basil Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
1 lb. beets, roasted and cleaned (gold, candy stripe or red)
4 cups baby kale
8 tbsp. goat cheese
4 tbsp. Marcona almonds, toasted
4 tbsp. julienne radish
1 cup fresh basil leaves
1 cup white balsamic vinegar
2 cups grape seed oil
2 tbsp. agave
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add basil leaves; flash-blanch for 30 sec. and no longer. Place basil in an ice bath and chill.
- Add basil, vinegar, oil, agave, salt and pepper to blender; blend until smooth. Adjust seasoning with salt, pepper and more agave if needed. Chill.
- Prepare Basil Vinaigrette.
- Toss beets with 1 tsp. Basil Vinaigrette and set aside.
- Toss kale with Basil Vinaigrette and place in center of chilled plate. Top with beets, goat cheese and almonds. Garnish with radishes.