Roasted Poblano Peppers Stuffed with Turkey Confit
|Ingredients||Poultry, Vegetables, Mushrooms|
|Menu Part||Appetizer/Small Plate|
A stuffed pepper all dressed up. Start with luscious turkey confit, add raisins and mushrooms, spice it up, and you have a dish sure to please.
20-lb. whole turkey
1 1⁄2 cup kosher salt
1⁄2 cup black peppercorns
3 gal. duck fat
1 lb. red bell peppers, seeded and julienned
1 lb. green bell peppers, seeded and julienned
1⁄2 lb. onion, julienned
Olive oil, as needed
7 lb. plum tomatoes, roasted
1⁄3 cup salt
1⁄3 cup ground pepper
2 tbsp. chili powder
1 cup pineapple juice
4 oz. shallots, sliced
2 tbsp. garlic, minced
1 lb. chanterelle mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
1 lb. shiitake mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
1⁄2 cup dry sherry
1⁄2 cup raisins
3 cups turkey stock
3 tbsp. chili powder
2 tbsp. cumin
8-10 oz. Manchego cheese, grated
15 poblano peppers
Sour cream, as needed for garnish
1. With a boning knife, remove turkey breasts, legs, wings and thighs and place in roasting pan with a rack. Cover with 1 cup salt and chill overnight.
2. Place turkey and remaining salt and peppercorns into a large pot; add duck fat to cover. Simmer over low heat until turkey falls from the bone. Drain turkey well (strain and reserve oil for future use). Pull meat from bones, shredding as you go. Reserve meat.
3. In a skillet over low heat, sauté bell peppers and onions in olive oil until softened. Stir in tomatoes, salt, pepper, chili powder and pineapple juice; simmer 30 min. Puree in a blender or food processor until smooth; season to taste and reserve sauce warm.
4. In a skillet, sauté shallots, garlic and mushrooms in olive oil until softened. Deglaze with sherry. Add raisins, turkey stock, chili powder, cumin and reserved turkey confit. Cook over medium heat until mixture is reduced and almost dry. Stir in cheese and remove from heat. Allow to cool.
5. Blister poblano peppers in a 400° F fryer (or oven) and shock in cold water; drain and peel. Make a cut into the side and stuff each pepper with 4-5 oz. of turkey confit. Place peppers cut-side down on a sheet pan and reserve.
6. For service, place peppers in a hot oven until heated through. Nap plates with 6 oz. warm tomato sauce, top with stuffed pepper and garnish with sour cream.