|Day Part||Dinner, Lunch, Snack|
|Menu Part||Side Dish|
Rutabaga, sweet potatoes and parsnips come together in a creamy gratin with Gruyère cheese under a delightfully crisp, golden brown crust.
1 small rutabaga (about 11⁄2 lb.), peeled
2 sweet potatoes, peeled
5 parsnips, peeled
1 1⁄2 cups grated Gruyère cheese
2 cups heavy cream
Toasted breadcrumbs, as needed
1. Cut rutabaga into 1⁄8-in. thick slices. Place in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water; cook until crisp-tender, 6-8 min. Drain well and pat dry.
2. Cut sweet potatoes into 1⁄8-in. thick slices. Cook 5 min. in boiling water until crisp-tender. Drain and dry as above.
3. Slice parsnips as above, and cook until crisp-tender, about 5 min. Pat dry.
4. In individual gratin dishes, layer some vegetables; sprinkle with flour and cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste. Repeat layers, ending with vegetables. Pour cream over top; sprinkle with a little remaining cheese and breadcrumbs.
5. Cover and bake at 350°F for 20 min. Uncover and
bake 20 min. longer until bubbly and golden.