Source: bartender Lucinda Weed of Sylvain and Iris, Tales of the Toddy 2011
This sweet and seasonal rum toddy from New Orleans bartender Lucinda Weed incorporates the flavors of pumpkin pie with a house-made pumpkin butter. The recipe is included, but a store-bought apple butter substitute would work as well.
1 1/2 oz. Blackbeard Rum
1/4 oz. Angostura Bitters
1/4 oz. Agave Nectar
1/4 oz. Pumpkin Butter*
1 dash Allspice dram
2 oz. lemon ginger tea
3 pie pumpkins (5 1/2-6 cups puree)
1 1/4 cup Steens cane syrup
1 1/4 cup cane sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp Allspice
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a shaker tin and place in a hot water bath to gently heat.
- Top with hot tea. Serves one.
- Half and gut the pie pumpkins. Roast at 375°F in a pan with enough water to cover the bottom for 1 hour or until very tender.
- Discard the skin and puree the pumpkin until very, very smooth.
- Combine all ingredients in a pot, heat and stir. Yields 3 pints.
Commercially-available apple butter can be substituted for the pumpkin butter.