Source: National Honey Board
Here’s a healthy variation on that county fair favorite—the corn dog. Chef Downs coats chicken apple sausage with sage honey and cornflake crumbs, then bakes them instead of deep-frying. The yogurt dipping sauce is sweetened with the same herbal honey and cinnamon. Try it as a to-go treat for breakfast or snacking.
1½ cups vanilla flavored Greek-style yogurt
1/4 cup chopped pecans, lightly toasted
½ cup sage honey
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
8 (2 oz.) chicken apple sausage links
1 large egg, beaten
1 cup low-fat milk
½ cup sage honey, divided
½ tsp. kosher salt
¼ tsp. fresh ground black pepper
1¼ cups all-purpose flour
3 cups crushed corn flakes
- Prepare Dipping Sauce: Combine all sauce ingredients in a blender or processor and blend until smooth. Refrigerate to chill.
- Prepare Sausages: Heat a large nonstick skillet over med. heat. Place sausages in pan and brown evenly on all sides. Remove from pan and blot dry on paper towels; reserve.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line large sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In bowl, combine egg, milk, 1/4 cup honey, salt, pepper and flour. Whisk until well blended. Transfer batter to a shallow dish long enough to dredge sausages.
- Skewer each sausage lengthwise on bamboo skewers, leaving a 3-in. handle. Pour crushed cornflakes into shallow container or plate. Dredge sausage skewers in batter then coat in crushed cornflakes.
- Place coated skewers on parchment lined sheet pan. Bake in preheated oven for 7 min. Turn sausages and drizzle with remaining honey. Bake 5 min. longer; remove from oven. Serve sausage skewers with dipping sauce.