|Ingredients||Potatoes, Dairy, Vegetables|
|Day Part||Breakfast, Dinner|
|Menu Part||Side Dish|
Source: Idaho Potato Commission
French fries are too often the default side on children’s menus. This potato-and-cheese bake offers a kid-pleasing alternative that’s lower in fat but high in flavor.
12 cups grated russet potatoes
2 to 3 tbsp. canola oil
6 cups grated low-fat cheddar cheese, plus additional for topping
24 oz. salsa
- Wash potatoes, leaving skins on. Grate potatoes; rinse in colander with cold water. Dry thoroughly.
- Combine potatoes and oil. Cook potatoes in large, nonstick skillet over med.-high heat until lightly browned. Cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat 13- by 9-inch baking sheet with nonstick spray. Combine potatoes and cheese; spread evenly on baking sheet.
- Place in preheated oven and bake 20 min. or until potato mixture is golden brown and crisp. Remove from oven and top with additional cheese, if desired.
- To serve, cut into 24 squares and top with a 1-ounce dollop of salsa.