This Spanish baked egg and potato dish makes a lovely presentation when cut in squares. The tangy and crunchy jicama relish adds great flavor and texture.
6 large eggs
1 tsp. salt
1⁄2 tsp. black pepper
1⁄2 cup olive oil
2 large potatoes (about 1 lb.), peeled and sliced into
1⁄8-in. thick rounds
1 large onion, diced
1-2 red bell peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded, and sliced
Chopped cilantro or parsley
1 1⁄2 cups diced, peeled jicama
1 cup diced, peeled orange
1⁄2 cup diced red onion
Lime juice, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Beat eggs with salt and pepper until frothy; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large, heavy, ovenproof skillet over high heat until hot but not smoking. Add potatoes and coat well with oil; sauté 10 min. until just starting to brown lightly.
- Add onion; sauté 5 min. until golden. Stir in peppers and pour in egg mixture; reduce heat to moderate. Cook 2-3 min., stirring the cooked egg portion from sides of skillet and shaking the pan occasionally to prevent sticking. (Egg mixture should still be runny.)
- Place skillet in oven. Bake eggs 15-20 min. until set and no longer wet on top. Sprinkle with cilantro or parsley.
- Meanwhile, combine jicama, orange, and red onion in small bowl. Stir in chopped cilantro and lime juice to taste. Cut tortilla into squares and serve with a side of jicama relish.