Spicy-Orange Lacquered Scallops with Jícama Slaw
Scallops are grilled with a sweet and spicy glaze. The citrus flavor is carried through in the crunchy and tangy jicama slaw that accompanies the scallops.
6 oz. Florida orange juice concentrate
2 oz. molasses
1 oz. honey
1 1⁄2 tsp. red chili flakes
1 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
1 cup jalapeño, seeded and finely diced
Zest of 1 lime
Juice from 1⁄2 lime
1 lb. fresh scallops
Fresh ground pepper
1 lb. jícama, julienne
1 large carrot, julienne
1 cup vinegar
1⁄2 cup sugar
1 bunch chives
1⁄4 bunch parsley, finely chopped
1 Florida orange, segmented
- For spicy-orange sauce combine first eight ingredients.
- Heat grill to medium-high. Dry scallops. Season with a little oil and pepper.
- Grill scallops on each side, basting with sauce, until done. Serve over Jícama Slaw and drizzle remaining sauce around scallops.
- Peel jícama and carrot, cut into julienne and chill.
- Whisk vinegar and sugar together until sugar dissolves.
- Cross cut 1⁄2 of the chives and toss in a large mixing bowl with jícama, carrots, and parsley.
Pour vinegar mixture over slaw ingredients slowly, use remaining chives, parsley, and orange segments, to garnish dish.