Torrijas with Fresh Berries and Mascarpone
Source: Chef Tory Miller, Estrellon, Madison, Wisc.
Estrellon, chef Miller's fourth Madison restaurant, is a Spanish tapas and small-plates concept. In the cafe section of the space, he serves breakfast items, like this Spanish-influenced French toast. It's cooked in olive oil instead of butter and flavored with grated orange zest. The berries and mascarpone cheese add a seasonal accent and creamy texture.
1 cup maple syrup
1/2 pt. raspberries
1/2 pt. blueberries
4 cups (1 qt.) whole milk
1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp. sugar, divided
1 tbsp. orange zest
1 cinnamon stick
Extra virgin olive oil, for frying
4-6 thick French bread slices
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
6 ounces mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- Bring maple syrup to boil. Add berries; immediately remove from heat. Set aside.
- In separate pan, heat milk, 1/2 cup sugar, orange zest and cinnamon stick over medium heat. Bring to low simmer and cook about 15 minutes. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- In wide, shallow bowl or pie pan, beat eggs. Set aside.
- Pour olive oil into skillet to depth of about 1/2 inch; heat to about 350 F.
- Dip bread slices, one at a time, in milk mixture, allowing mixture to soak through slice. Remove, dip in eggs and fry in oil, turning once and browning both sides. Place on cooling rack or paper towels and repeat with remaining bread slices.
- Mix remaining sugar with cinnamon; sprinkle on bread. Top with mascarpone and generous spoonful of berry syrup and serve immediately.