|Ingredients||Eggs, Mushrooms, Bread|
|Day Part||Dinner, Lunch|
A meatless Monte Cristo sandwich, with fresh mushrooms and truffle-studded cheese. Serve with a micro greens salad dressed tossed with truffle oil vinaigrette.
8 oz. assorted fresh mushrooms, sliced
8 slices brioche or challah bread
2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
8 oz. truffle-studded cheese or Gruyère, shredded
3 tbsp. water
Salt and fresh ground pepper
3 tbsp. truffle oil
2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
Assorted micro salad greens (mache, pea shoots, etc.)
Cornichons, for garnish
- In large sauté pan, melt 1 tbsp. butter. Add mushrooms and sauté 5-10 min.
- Prepare sandwiches: Spread a little mustard on each bread slice. Evenly divide cheese and mushrooms over four bread slices; top with remaining bread to form sandwiches.
- In shallow bowl, beat eggs with water and salt and pepper to taste. Dip sandwiches on both sides into egg mixture.
- Wipe out sauté pan and melt remaining 3 tbsp. butter over medium heat. Add sandwiches; cook until cheese melts and sandwiches are golden, about 4 min. per side.
- For service, cut sandwiches into triangular quarters. Whisk truffle oil and vinegar; toss with salad greens. Pile dressed salad greens in middle of plate; arrange sandwich quarters around salad.