Source: By Chef Michael Foley
Chef Michael Foley's version of this French classic replaces traditional seafood with turkey.
1 12-lb. whole turkey
1 cup olive oil
4 heads garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
1⁄8 tsp. saffron
4 tsp. fennel seeds, crushed
1 bunch fresh thyme
16 bay leaves
1⁄2 cup tomato paste
1⁄2 cup pastis or anise-flavored liqueur
2 qt. water
5 cups dry white wine
2 lb. yellow potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
4 slices day-old French bread
2 tsp. saffron threads
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. hot pepper flakes
1 loaf French bread, sliced on the bias
Aïoli, as needed
1. Remove turkey breasts, legs and thighs with a boning knife. Rinse turkey pieces and pat dry. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a large pot, heat half the oil and sear legs and thighs on all sides until browned. Reduce heat, partially cover and cook gently for about 1-11⁄2 hr., until cooked through and moist. Roast breast separately until done. Transfer breast, legs and thighs to a platter, cover with foil and hold.
2. In the same pot over medium heat, combine garlic, saffron, fennel, thyme, bay leaves, tomato paste, pastis, water and 4 cups wine and stir, scraping the pan. Cover and simmer 30 min. Remove from heat and discard thyme and bay leaves. In the bowl of a food processor, puree the mixture until smooth and return it to the pot.
3. Remove leg and thigh meat from the bones in spoon-sized pieces. Add to the stock pot with potatoes and simmer gently until potatoes are cooked through. Adjust seasonings and reserve hot.
4. Meanwhile, tear bread into coarse pieces. Place in a bowl and sprinkle with remaining wine; allow to stand 5 min. Soak saffron in 2 tbsp. hot water until dissolved and add to the bowl of a food processor with bread, garlic and pepper flakes; pulse to combine. With machine running, slowly add remaining oil, creating a smooth paste. Season and reserve rouille.
5. Toast bread slices and rub with aïoli; spread rouille on top. Meanwhile, thinly slice turkey breasts. Ladle stew mixture into soup bowls, top with breast slices and garnish with crouton.