Vegans choose to forego dairy, which includes cream, butter and other indulgent ingredients that go into most desserts. At The Root, pastry chef Davis creates a decadent sundae with coconut ice milk that’s sauced with caramel made from coconut milk. It’s become a summer favorite at the restaurant.
2 3/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla extract, divided
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup water
2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup chocolate chips
2 cans (14 oz. each) coconut milk
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
1 can (14 oz.) coconut milk
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup hot water
2 cups pecans (chopped or whole)
- Prepare brownies: Preheat oven to 350 F. In large bowl, combine 1 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, cocoa, salt, 1 tsp. vanilla and vegetable oil.
- In small saucepan, combine water and 1/2 cup flour. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until it turns into a gluey paste. Add flour/water mixture to sugar/cocoa mixture; mix well. Stir in remaining 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder and chocolate chips; mix well.
- Spread batter into greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake about 30 min., or until firm in the center. Do not turn off oven.
- Prepare coconut ice milk: In blender, combine coconut milk, 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar and 1 tsp. vanilla; blend until smooth. Chill mixture completely.
- Churn cooled mixture according to ice cream machine instructions. (If you don’t have an ice cream machine, pour mixture into ice cube tray and freeze. Remove cubes and place in food processor. Process until smooth and return to freezer.)
- Prepare caramel topping: In med. saucepan over med.-high heat, combine sugar, water and a few drops lemon juice; do not stir. Using a pastry brush dipped in water, brush down any sugar crystals on the sides of pan.
- Place coconut milk in a separate saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cook sugar mixture to an amber color, gently swirling pan. Slowly add hot coconut milk, stirring with a wooden spoon. Once all coconut milk is added, return to a boil. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In small bowl, combine 3/4 cup brown sugar and hot water. Stir to dissolve. Add pecans. Pour onto a silicon baking mat. Bake in 350 F oven, stirring every 10 min., until sugar crystallizes and pecans look dry. Allow to cool and break pecans apart.
- To assemble, place 1 scoop coconut ice milk on top of a brownie square. Drizzle with caramel and top with pecans.