|Ingredients||Eggs, Vegetables, Dairy, Meat|
|Day Part||Dinner, Lunch|
|Menu Part||Appetizer/Small Plate|
Source: Vidalia Onion Committee
This quiche-like tart is quintessential comfort food, but the accompaniment of black-eyed pea relish gives it a tasty new twist. The vinaigrette for the relish combines the sweet-hot flavors diners crave: balsamic vinegar, Creole mustard and chipotle peppers.
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
3/4 cup lard
1/3 cup ice water
1 lb. Tasso ham, diced
1 oz. olive oil
3 med. Vidalia onions, diced
1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
1 cup heavy cream
3 egg yolks
Salt and black pepper, to taste
Black-Eyed Pea Relish:
2 cups cooked black-eyed peas
1 green onion, thinly sliced
1 tsp. chopped chipotle pepper
1 tsp. minced garlic
2 tbsp. Creole mustard
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Prepare pie shell: In bowl, combine 2 cups flour, salt and lard; mix with two forks until consistency of coarse meal. Add remaining ¼ cup flour and ice water; stir until just combined and mixture forms a dough.
- Divide dough into two balls and shape into flattened disks. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hr. or overnight.
- Roll out one dough disk on lightly floured surface until thin circle forms. Place circle in pie pan; press into place. Trim edges; refrigerate pie dough in pan for at least 20 min. to chill. Refrigerate remaining disk of dough until needed.
- Preheat oven to 350’F. Prepare filling: In a sauté pan over low heat, combine oil and Tasso ham; cook until ham starts to brown. Remove ham; reserve juices in pan.
- Add onions to pan; continue to cook over med.-low heat until onions are caramelized. Remove from heat and strain onions to remove excess liquid; cool.
- In bowl, blend onions, ham, thyme, cream and egg yolks; season with salt and pepper. Pour mixture into pie shell. Bake 30 to 40 min. until center is set.
- Prepare relish: In bowl, combine all ingredients except peas; whisk vinaigrette until blended.
- Stir in peas; let stand at least 1 hr. to develop flavors.
- For service, cut tart into wedges. Serve with Black-Eyed Pea Relish.