Sometimes an action is so patently wrong and knuckleheaded that you can’t help but wonder, What could the perpetrator have been thinking? How could they in their wildest imaginations have believed that such a thing would go unnoticed?
Here are three cases in point.
Employee nightmare of the week: hair soup?
Two employees of a Waffle House in Forrest City, Ark., found themselves with some downtime and figured they’d use the lull to make a better first impression on guests. So one of the women washed the other’s hair. In the kitchen. Using a pot that otherwise would have been cooking food.
The real jaw-dropper: The ablutions took place across the service counter, about three feet from guests.
And, of course, one of those guests had a cellphone. The video went viral before Waffle House concluded what it called an investigation of the matter.
The employees were fired. But at least they looked nice as they picked up their final paychecks.
Click here to watch the video.
Customer nightmare of the week: How about a super-sized coffee?
Patrons can be forgiven for daydreaming while they wait for their orders in the drive-thru. But a young man who queued up at a Connecticut McDonald’s last weekend took it to an extreme. He fell into such a deep slumber behind the wheel that drive-thru service had to be halted and authorities summoned to remove him.
The stunner: The 19-year-old had been drinking. And enjoying the foliage of the hemp plant.
Management nightmare of the week: ‘Who’ll notice a 100-lb. carcass?’
A driver in Concord, N.C., noticed two strange things about another car on the road earlier this weekend. First, it stopped to pick up a carcass of a deer that had been struck and killed, and threw the remains in the back seat. And second, it looked very much like the vehicle that had recently delivered Chinese food to the watcher’s home.
Sure enough, she saw the car pull behind the place she had called days earlier to place her order. The vehicle with the deer carcass aboard backed up near the restaurant’s near door and went inside for some knives.
The (no doubt former) customer called the police, who alerted local sanitation authorities. They arrived as the deer was being butchered in the parking lot. The choice cuts were found in the restaurant’s kitchen sink.
The proprietor of the place didn’t try to dodge responsibility. He’d never tasted venison, and a friend told him it was perfectly acceptable to scoop up a deer carcass from the road and turn it into dinner. The operator explained to authorities that the meat was intended for his personal consumption, not for his restaurant’s guests.
Sure enough, the health authorities did nothing but set the employee straight about road-kill etiquette. No laws had been broken because the deer had been butchered outside, and none of the meat had been served, they explained.