AUSTIN, TX (October 10, 2011)—The new 305,000 square-foot food distribution facility – located in Buda, Texas – will help US Foods – Austin better serve its customers throughout south central Texas and add more than 100 jobs to the area over the next five years.
“The completed expansion project has surpassed our expectations, and we are thrilled to open our doors here in the Buda community,” said US Foods-Austin Division President John Fowler.
Facts about the Austin Division’s long-awaited facility:
- The 305,000-square-foot facility sits on 42 acres in Buda and includes 34 loading docks; 54,000 square feet of freezer space; 39,000 square feet of refrigerated space; and 74,000 square feet of dry space.
- The division employs about 270 local employees, with a projected increase to 405 over the next five years.
- US Foods Austin distributes food and related products to more than 2,500 customers in South and Central Texas, including restaurants, hospitals, hotels, schools and governmental institutions.
- The new facility has capacity for 12,500 types of products.
- US Foods Austin is expected to become the company’s first LEED certified distribution center, meeting the U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED certification requirements for commercial buildings with features such as, energy-efficient lighting, no-water landscaping and better fleet management..
The new facility also includes a US Kitchen. This nearly 2,000 square-foot center allows US Foods – Austin to offer its customers dynamic training opportunities and encourage product reviews.
"This facility was designed from the ground-up to be as efficient as possible," said Fowler. "In fact, our new facility is 60% more energy efficient than our previous facility, which was less than half the size."
To mark the grand opening, US Foods also donated nearly 5,000 pounds of food to the Hays County Food Bank.