Any fan of NFL football is aware that October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, but did you know it’s also Vegetarian Awareness Month? How about Pasta, Pork, Pumpkin, Pretzel, Popcorn Poppin’ and Pickled Pepper Month? And you thought Halloween was fun on its own.
According to lists compiled by Tastespotting, the month of October has 17 food-specific designations. That is, it’s used by various governments, groups and organizations to raise awareness of an issue, commemorate a group or event, or celebrate something.
- It’s also American Cheese Month, making that number 18. This is the first time a national celebration for American cheeses has been designated by the American Cheese Society.
- More than 30 New Orleans restaurants, following the lead of their football team, are going pink during Breast Cancer Awareness Month. They will serve $31 prix fixe menus, and chefs in participating restaurants will sport pink chefs’ coats to show support for the cause.
- In celebration of National Seafood month, Bonefish Grill is offering guests a hand-crafted, three-course dinner for two–for less than $20 per person.
- It’s also National Apple Month. Did you know that McDonald’s is the largest purchaser of apples in the restaurant industry?
- Casual dining chain Max & Erma’s, known for their fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies, has created a “Free Cookies Wednesday” dine-in LTO. Yes, it’s National Cookie Month, too.
Additionally, every week this month has a separate designation.
- The first week of October is National Chili Week, and Washington D.C. was lost without iconic Ben’s Chili Bowl, which closed to update plumbing dating back to 1910.
- Week two is American Beer Week, which somehow doesn’t coincide with Great American Beer Festival in Colorado, but works just fine for Atlanta, Baltimore and Los Angeles.
- October 16 is the start of National Kraut Sandwich week, as well as National Liqueur Day. Google turned up a couple commemorative sandwich recipes from the Lewiston Daily Sun in 1982, but nothing about liqueur-centric beverages that pair well with a Reuben. There’s a mixologist challenge for you!
Oddly, every day in October is commemorating something. Some days have more than one celebration going on!
- October 5 is National Apple Betty Day, which is basically a classic American baked pudding, served hot, that pairs well with custard or ice cream.
- The 8th is Fluffernutter Day, and if you don’t know what that is, it’s because your parents didn’t want to peel you off the ceiling as a child. It’s a great idea for desserts, though.
- October 14 is Chocolate Covered Insects Day. This guy in the UK celebrated it a bit early.
Thankfully, October 31 is just Halloween, because it really doesn’t need to be a more interesting day, does it?