Avocado & Egg Wheat Berry Toast Nosh Box
Chef Kevin Cecilio
Although a number of dining operations are planning to return to normal this fall, many kitchens will still be preparing food to go. Chef Kevin Cecilio developed this nosh box filled with all the essentials for a do-it-yourself plant-based sandwich to go. Baigan bartha is a flavor-forward eggplant spread that can be made ahead, while the hard-cooked eggs and avocado add contrasting shots of color and texture.
2 tbsp. + 1 tsp. canola oil, divided
1 lb. eggplant
½ tsp. cumin seed
1¼ cups diced yellow onion
2 tbsp. minced jalapeno pepper
1 tbsp. minced fresh ginger
¼ tsp. chili powder
¼ tsp. paprika
1¾ cups diced tomato
½ tsp. kosher salt
12 large eggs
12 slices wheat berry bread, ¾-in. thick
6 avocados, halved, seeded and peeled
¼ cup lemon juice
- For baigan bartha, preheat oven to 350 F. Rub eggplant with 1 tsp. canola oil. Prick eggplant skin with a fork. Cut each eggplant in half lengthwise. Bake, skin-side up, for 45 minutes; cool.
- Remove eggplant skin and roughly chop flesh. In large saute pan over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons canola oil. Add cumin seeds; cook 30 seconds or until they begin to crackle.
- Add onions; cook until translucent and tender, stirring occasionally. Add jalapeno and ginger; cook for 2 minutes. Add chili powder, paprika and chopped eggplant. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Stir in tomatoes; cook 8 minutes or until oil separates, stirring constantly. Add salt; remove from heat and cool slightly.
- For sandwich, place eggs in large pot with enough cold water to cover eggs by 2 inches. Over high heat, bring to a boil; boil for 10 minutes. Drain eggs and place in ice water to cool. Peel eggs; refrigerate until ready to use.
- Per order, slice each egg crosswise into eight equal slices, keeping the egg shape. (Use an egg slicer for the best results.) Toast bread slices, then cut each slice in half.
- Sprinkle each avocado half with 1 teaspoon lemon juice to fully cover. Slice each avocado half into ¼-inch thick slices, keeping the avocado shape. Place 2 to 2 ½ tablespoons baigan bartha in a small to-go container and cover with lid.
- In to-go container, place 1 piece of toast, cut in half, to one side; arrange 1 sliced avocado half, 1 sliced egg and the container of baigan bartha around toast.
Photo courtesy of California Avocado Commission