Little chocolate layer cakes with chocolate espresso frosting, garnished with chocolate-covered coffee beans and chocolate curls. Great for sharing!
Chocolate cake recipe for 9-in. two-layer cake
1 tbsp. espresso powder
2 tsp. vanilla extract
8 oz. softened butter
1 tbsp. simple syrup
10 oz. semisweet chocolate, melted
2 cups powdered sugar
Chocolate-covered coffee beans and chocolate curls, for garnish
- Line three 4-5-in. round cake pans with parchment; butter and flour parchment.
- Prepare batter for cake. Evenly fill prepared cake pans.
- Bake cakes in 350°F oven 30-40 min., or until they test done. Cool; peel off parchment, and split each cake horizontally into three layers.
- Dissolve espresso powder in vanilla. With electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until fluffy. Add espresso mixture and syrup; beat well. Beat in melted chocolate until smooth; add powdered sugar in 3 additions, beating until fluffy.
- Assemble the cakes with three layers. Frost cake with frosting and garnish with coffee beans and chocolate curls.