Get in on the mushroom as meat trend with this burger. Portabella mushrooms provide texture while black beans provide protein. A great option for vegetarians and carnivores alike.
Black Bean Portabella Burgers:
2 tsp. oil
1/2 cup finely minced onions
3 garlic cloves, finely minced
3/4 tsp ground cumin
3/4 tsp ground oregano
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 each (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup diced portabella mushrooms
1 tbsp. milled flaxseed mixed with 1 tsp water
1/2 to 1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tbsp. chopped cilantro
1/2 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
1 cup bread crumbs
1 cup arugula
Red Pepper Mayonnaise (recipe follows)
Red Pepper Mayonnaise: Yield 3/4 cup
1/2 cup chopped and drained roasted red peppers from jar
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/8 tsp cayenne
- To make burgers: Heat oil in large sauté pan. Add the onion and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, oregano, and pepper and cook for another minute. Add the beans and mushrooms, and cook until mushrooms are tender.
- Put bean mixture into food processor with flax seed mixture, salt and cilantro. Whirl until blended.
- Place bean mixture in bowl and stir in corn kernels and bread crumbs. Taste mixture and adjust seasoning.
- Form into patties that are 2-3 inches in diameter, and about a 1/2 inch thick. Let patties rest 5 minutes and then cook 3 minutes on each side until browned and heated through on lightly oiled fry pan over medium heat. Serve on bun with red pepper mayonnaise and arugula.
- To make Red Pepper Mayonnaise: In food processor, blend all ingredients together until smooth.