Source: Morrison Healthcare
Chef Norbert Bomm, corporate executive chef for R&D at Morrison Healthcare, has been focused on making more healthful foods to serve to children at Morrison accounts. “Taking something familiar like a muffin and adding or changing one or two ingredients to enhance the nutrition creates food that is alive with flavor, craveable and familiar, and is a good place to start with kids,” Bomm says.
Bomm’s alterations to the standard muffin recipe involved the use of garbanzo beans, applesauce and fat-free buttermilk. “Applesauce is a great way to decrease the amount of fat in a recipe while maintaining the moisture,” he explains. “The use of garbanzo beans not only adds protein to the muffin but also provides nutrients such as molybdenum, manganese and folate. In addition, they are a great way to sneak fiber into a child’s diet. Fat-free buttermilk also decreases the amount of fat and adds healthy probiotics.”
11 oz. canned, drained garbanzo beans
1/2 cup fat-free buttermilk
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
13 oz. granulated sugar
12 oz. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tbsp. baking powder
1 cup frozen, unsweetened blueberries
1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- Rinse garbanzo beans in cold water. Place beans, buttermilk, vanilla, canola oil and applesauce in Robot Coupe and mix at medium speed until smooth.
- Separate egg yolks and whites. Set egg whites aside.
- Add yolks to bean puree and mix.
- Pour bean puree into a mixer with paddle attachment. Add sugar, flour and baking powder and blend evenly at medium speed.
- In separate mixer, with wire whip, add egg whites and beat slowly until foamy. Then increase speed and beat whites to a stiff peak.
- Gently fold egg whites into batter.
- Toss frozen blueberries with 1 tablespoon flour until evenly coated. Fold into batter.
- Spray muffin pans with non-stick cooking spray. Portion batter evenly into pans. Bake at 320°F in convection oven with fan at half speed for about 15 to 18 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in muffin comes out clean.
- Cool muffins on baking rack before removing from pan.