A robust dish, featuring lean rabbit braised with fresh herbs, carrots, leeks and garbanzo beans atop a bed of cooked green lentils.
3 lb. rabbit, in serving pieces
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 tbsp. olive oil
1⁄4 cup dry white wine
2 cups chicken stock
2 tbsp. chopped garlic
2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
4 carrots, sliced
3 leeks, cleaned and sliced
8 red pearl onions, peeled
1⁄2 cup cooked garbanzo beans
1 tbsp. butter
2 cups cooked green lentils
Fresh thyme sprigs
- Season rabbit, and brown on both sides; remove from pot.
- Stir wine into drippings; boil 30 sec. Stir in stock and deglaze. Mash garlic with thyme and 1 tsp. salt; stir into stock. Add bay leaf and rabbit pieces. Cover and braise 40 min.
- Add carrots, leeks, and red onions. Cover and continue to braise 1 hr. Stir in garbanzos.
- Remove rabbit and vegetables; reduce braising liquid to about 3⁄4 cup. Stir in butter.
- Spoon rabbit, vegetables, and some braising liquid over lentils; garnish with thyme.