Butternut Squash Risotto
Source: Iowa State University (Ames, Iowa)
Get away from ordinary sides with this creamy butternut squash risotto. It will stand out at any holiday meal or as a hearty vegetarian dish.
2 1/4 tsp. base vegetable light liquid
2 3/4 cup, 2 2/3 tbsp. water
3 2/3 tbsp., 1/2 tsp. white wine
1 3/4 tsp. chopped garlic
3 3/4 oz. diced 1/4”onions
1 3/4 oz. butter
6 3/4 oz. arborio rice
7 3/4 oz. peeled, cubed 1/4” butternut squash
1 3/4 oz. asiago cheese
- Dissolve vegetable base in warm water. Add wine.
- In steam kettle, sauté garlic and onions in butter.
- Add rice to sautéed vegetables in kettle. Continue sautéing while stirring.
- Add squash to sautéed mixture. Mix well while continuing to sauté, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add 1/3 of vegetable broth to rice mixture. Continue cooking, stirring consistently until broth is absorbed, about 3 minutes.
- Continue adding broth, 1/3 at a time, until all is absorbed and mixture is creamy. Approximately 20-25 minutes.
- Add cheese to mixture.
Extra broth may be added to freshen risotto after sitting in hot box.