Chimichurri Ancient Grain Bowl
Chef Ivy Stark
Dos Caminos Mexican Restaurant
New York City
Pearl barley, wheat berries, millet and wild rice combine in the ancient grain pilaf that forms the base of this bowl. Chef Stark layers on Southwestern flavors with ingredients including grilled avocado-corn relish, roasted poblanos and chimichurri-sauced skirt steak.
4 portions skirt steak (4 oz. each)
6 oz. chimichurri sauce
Ancient Grain Pilaf
1 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 small onion, finely chopped
4 cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 cup pearl barley
½ cup wheat berries
½ cup wild rice
¼ cup millet
3 cups chicken stock
2 tbsp. chopped fresh herbs
Extra virgin olive oil, as needed
Salt and pepper, to taste
Grilled Avocado-Corn Relish
3/8 cup olive oil, divided
2 cups fresh corn kernels
½ tsp. sea salt
Black pepper, to taste
1 ripe avocado, peeled, seeded and sliced
1 large red bell pepper, cored and seeded
2 poblano chilies, roasted, peeled and seeded
2 green onions, sliced diagonally
¼ cup red wine vinegar
2 cans (15 oz. each) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 red onion, diced
2 cups yellow corn, roasted
½ cup cilantro leaves
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup lemon juice
¼ cup red wine vinegar
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
Diced avocado and sunflower seeds, for garnish
- Marinate skirt steak in chimichurri sauce at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Meanwhile, prepare ancient grain pilaf: Preheat oven to 350 F. In large overnproof pot with tightfitting lid, melt butter over low heat. Add oil, garlic and onion; cook until onions are softened and translucent, 5 to 10 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high and add mushrooms; cook about 5 minutes until soft.
- Add barley, wheat berries, wild rice and millet; stir well to coat with oil. Cook, stirring often, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in stock and bring to a boil. Cover pot and place in oven. Bake 30 minutes.
- Remove lid and cook a little longer to soften grains, if needed. Fold in chopped herbs. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper; keep warm.
- Prepare grilled avocado-corn relish: Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add corn, salt and pepper; saute until corn is heated through and tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to large mixing bowl and set aside to cool.
- Preheat grill. Brush avocado slices with oil; grill 30 seconds on each side on hot grill. Dice avocados, bell pepper and poblanos into small pieces. Add to sautéed corn along with green onions; stir in vinegar and remaining olive oil. Mix well and let stand 20 to 30 minutes to blend flavors; set aside.
- For bean medley, combine beans, red onion, corn, cilantro, olive oil, lemon juice and vinegar; add salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide ancient grain pilaf into four bowls. Divide bean mixture on top. Remove skirt steaks from marinade and grill to desired doneness.
- To serve, slice steak on bias and add one portion to each bowl. Divide avocado corn relish evenly on top. Garnish with additional diced avocado and sunflower seeds.
Photo courtesy of California Avocado Commission