Source: Hershey Foodservice
These two-bite cream puffs are sized perfectly for pairing. Chocolate goes especially well with red wine, dark beer or a shot of brandy or single malt Scotch. Non-alcoholic pairings, such as mini milkshakes and lattes, also make good partners for chocolate desserts.
Chocolate Cream Filling:
1 1/2 tsp. unflavored gelatin
2 tbsp. cold water
2 cups cold heavy or whipping cream
1/2 cup chocolate syrup
1 cup water
4 oz. unsalted butter
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. sugar
1 cup + 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
3 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
1 cup (6 oz.) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tbsp. shortening
- Prepare Chocolate Cream Filling: Sprinkle gelatin over cold water in small bowl; let stand 1 min. to soften. Microwave on high 10 sec.; stir until gelatin is completely dissolved and mixture is clear. Cool slightly; reserve.
- Beat cream in med. bowl until stiff. Add chocolate syrup; blend well. Gradually pour in cooled gelatin mixture; mix until well blended. Refrigerate 2 hr.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (325°F for convection oven). Spray sheet pans with cooking spray; line with parchment paper.
- Prepare Cream Puffs: Combine water, butter, salt and sugar in large, heavy saucepan; bring to a rolling boil, stirring until butter melts. Add flour and cocoa all at once; stir vigorously over low heat about 1 min. or until mixture leaves sides of pan and forms a ball. Remove from heat.
- Place dough in mixer bowl. With paddle attachment, mix on low speed until dough is cooled. Increase speed to med. Gradually add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition until smooth.
- Drop dough by #70 scoop (1/2 oz.) 3 in. apart on prepared sheet pans. Bake 12 min. Reduce oven temperature by 25°; continue baking 22 min. Turn off oven; let cream puffs stand in oven, with door ajar, 1 hr. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Pierce small hole in bottom of each cream puff. Fill pastry bag fitted with ¼-in. tip with Chocolate Cream Filling; pipe into cooled puffs.
- Prepare Chocolate Glaze: Combine chocolate chips and shortening in med. microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at med. 1 min.; stir. Microwave at med. at 10 sec. intervals, stirring after each heating, until chips are completely melted when stirred.
- Dip top of each cream puff into chocolate glaze. Let glaze set at room temperature or refrigerate until set.