Source: Colorado Department of Agriculture
Jason Morse, executive chef for Douglas County School District, in Castle Rock, Colo., and owner and executive chef of 5280 Culinary Consulting, created this recipe for the Colorado Department of Agriculture for use in school meals. Meatballs are always a hit with students, and Morse uses these beef meatballs in sandwiches, pasta dishes and as a topping on pizza. “The herbs give it that nice finish and a bit of an Italian flair,” Morse says.
3 lb. Colorado chuck beef, coarsely ground
1/2 cup diced red onion
1 1/2 tbsp. Here Fishy Fishy Herb Seasoning
2 tbsp. Rub A Dub Seasoning
1 1/2 tbsp. finely chopped garlic
4 large eggs
1 cup shredded Asiago cheese
1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
48 oz. tomato sauce
- Preheat cast-iron skillet on stove top or in oven to medium heat.
- In large stainless steel bowl, add beef, onion, seasonings and garlic; mix well. Adjust seasonings if needed.
- Add eggs, cheese and breadcrumbs; mix well to combine.
- Roll about 3 tablespoons of mixture into meatballs.
- Place meatballs into skillet. Cook for about 3 minutes to set, then turn meatballs over to other side and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce and cover.
- Continue to cook in sauce, until meatballs reach 140°F, about 15 minutes.
- Enjoy with ravioli or over spaghetti.