Espresso Ice Cream Cups
A dazzling presentation for this cold and creamy treat. Coffee lovers will be delighted by this luscious frozen dessert.
Espresso ice cream:
3 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk
1 cup espresso beans, crushed
8 egg yolks
1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
3 tbsp. espresso beans, finely ground
3 tbsp. coffee liqueur
1 cup vanilla ice cream
8 chocolate cookies
8 chocolate-covered pretzel halves
Ground espresso beans, for garnish
- In a large saucepan, scald cream, milk, and coffee beans. Remove from heat and infuse mixture for at least 30 min. Strain coffee beans and discard.
- In a large bowl, beat together yolks and sugar until pale yellow; set aside.
- Reheat cream mixture to scalding. Pour cream into eggs gradually. Cook over low heat until mixture thickens. Strain and stir in ground espresso and liqueur. Freeze in ice cream maker.
- Shape softened ice cream into 8 demi-tasse cups, leaving 1⁄4 in. space at the top of each cup. Freeze for 30 min. Spread vanilla ice cream over top of each cup and freeze again.
- Fill a small pan half way with hot water and place ice cream cup in water for a few seconds. Quickly unmold ice cream and place on cookie. Push pretzel into side of cup and freeze for 15 min. To serve, sprinkle top with ground espresso beans.