Source: UNT, Denton, Texas
A different take on a bean burger. Garbanzo beans bring the protein while walnuts bring the texture.
1 3/4 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
4 5/8 oz. sweet yellow onion
1/2 oz. fresh peeled garlic
12 1/2 oz. garbanzo beans
1 oz. walnut pieces
1 pinch cilantro
3 oz. all purpose flour
1 3/4 tsp. ground cumin
1 3/4 tsp. salad oil
3/4 oz. margarine
1 tbsp. light brown sugar
- Heat olive oil.
- Coarsely chop 1 1/2 ounces onion, add to oil. Cook about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, cook 3 more minutes.
- Drain beans, chop in buffalo chopper or food processor. Do not over process, mixture should be partial whole beans.
- Add walnuts, cilantro and yogurt to bean mixture. Blend 30 seconds.
- Add sautéed onion and garlic to beans. Blend 30 seconds.
- Fold in flour and cumin.
- Use #12 scoop to portion patties. Using floured hands, form into patties.
- Coat braiser or pan with salad oil.
- Pan fry patties for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown. Turn to cook on other side.
- Melt margarine.
- Slice remaining onions, add to margarine. Cook about 10 minutes over low to medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add sugar and cook 1 minute.
- Serve 1 tablespoon onion on top of each patty.