Golden Syrup Gingerbread
Source: Hampden Bakery
Golden syrup and brown sugar complement the sharp ginger in this gingerbread.
4 lb. 14 oz. golden syrup
1 lb. 13 oz. margarine
1 lb. 10 oz. golden brown sugar
3 lb. 13 oz. all-purpose flour
2 tbsp. 1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. 1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 cup 2 tsp. ground ginger
13 oz. cage-free eggs
3 lb. 14 oz. whole milk
1 3/11 oz. bakery grease
- Whisk together eggs and milk.
- In separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and ginger.
- Melt margarine with golden syrup and brown sugar. Allow to cool slightly.
- Pour margarine mixture over dry mixture, blend well.
- Add egg/milk mixture slowly to avoid lumps.
- Pour 2 pounds, 12 ounces into greased and paper-lined strap pans.
- Bake at 340°F until set, approximately 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool on rack.
- Wrap in plastic and place in freezer for two days to increase stickiness.