Honey Roasted Carrots with White Bean Puree
Chef Alexi Mandolini
The Easy Vegan
At The Easy Vegan, chef Alexi Mandolini's pop-up in Denver, she offers unique plant-based dishes that take vegan cooking up several notches. This simple recipe is short on steps but big on flavor. The carrots can be served as a side or small plate.
1 lb. heirloom carrots, peeled
3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
3 tbsp. honey
2 tsp. sesame seeds
Kosher salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
1 cup cannellini beans, drained
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 cup cooked lentils
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Place carrots on a parchment lined sheet tray. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 2 tablespoons honey. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sesame seeds and season with salt and pepper to taste.
2. Roast carrots 20 to 25 minutes, flipping carrots halfway through.
3. Meanwhile, in food processor, combine beans, garlic, lemon juice and cumin; process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. In small bowl, combine lentils with remaining tablespoon honey, remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
4. To serve: spread a layer of white bean puree onto plate; top with lentils. Arrange roasted carrots on top and garnish with cilantro leaves remaining teaspoon sesame seeds.
Photograph courtesy of National Honey Board