Lamb Chops with Blackberry Mole
|Ingredients||Vegetables, Nuts, Berries, Chocolate, Meat, Fruits|
Source: Recipe from Chef Tim Love
Lamb chops seasoned with a game rub before grilling over mesquite and served with blackberry molé sauce. Accompany this dish with individual goat cheese soufflés.
2 lamb racks, split, chine bone off
1 tbsp. kosher salt
1 tbsp. cracked black pepper
1 cup prepared game rub
Blackberry Mole (see recipe)
4 dried pasilla chilies, stemmed and seeded
4 dried red New Mexican chilies, stemmed and seeded
1 med. onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
2 med. tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1 cup fresh blackberries
2 tbsp. sesame seeds
1⁄2 cup almonds
1⁄2 corn tortilla, torn into pieces
1⁄4 cup raisins
1⁄4 tsp. ground cloves
1⁄4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1⁄4 tsp. ground coriander
3 tbsp. canola or olive oil
1 cup chicken stock
2 oz. bittersweet chocolate or 2 tbsp. baking cocoa
- Brush lamb with oil. Season lightly with salt and pepper; rub surface with game rub (a blend of guajillo chili powder, cumin, rosemary, thyme, garlic, brown sugar, salt and pepper).
- Grill chops over mesquite 2 min. per side. Pull chops off grill; let rest 10 min. Place chops back on grill; cook 2 min. more per side.
- Serve with Blackberry Mole and sprinkle with 1 tbsp. sesame seeds left over from mole recipe.
- Combine chilies, onion, garlic, tomatoes, blackberries, 1 tbsp. sesame seeds, almonds, tortilla, raisins, cloves, cinnamon, and coriander. Purée in blender until smooth.
- Heat oil in skillet; sauté purée in hot oil for 10 min., stirring frequently. Add stock and chocolate; cook over very low heat for 45 min. The sauce should be very thick. (Makes enough mole for several uses.)
Note: Chef Love accompanies this dish with individual goat cheese soufflés.