Mascarpone Wonton Napoleon
Chef Michael Watz
Crisp, fried wonton wrappers form the pastry layers for this Napoleon, saving the steps of making and baking classic puff pastry from scratch. For the filling, Chef Watz blends mascarpone cheese with whipped cream, honey and coffee liqueur. Fresh mango, roasted with brown sugar and cinnamon, and fresh raspberries add a fruity element to the plated dessert.
2 cups vegetable oil
12 wonton wrappers (4-in. sheets)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1½ cups honey mascarpone (recipe follows)
1 cup roasted, diced mangoes (recipe follows)
1 cup fresh raspberries, cut in half
2 tsp. confectioners’ sugar
Chocolate drizzle, optional
12 fresh raspberries, for garnish
Mint sprigs, for garnish
Honey Mascarpone Cheese
½ cup heavy cream
16 oz. mascarpone cheese, softened
2 tbsp. honey
2 tbsp. coffee liqueur
3 fresh mangoes, peeled and cut into thick slices
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 tbsp. brown sugar
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- For Napoleon: In shallow saucepan, heat oil to 350 F. Place wonton wrappers, one at a time, onto surface of oil; fry approximately 30 seconds. Turn over and fry second side until crisp and golden. Remove from oil; drain on absorbent paper. Repeat with remaining wontons.
- In mixing bowl, combine granulated sugar and cinnamon. Generously coat each fried wonton in cinnamon sugar mixture; set aside.
- For mascarpone filling: In large mixing bowl, whisk or beat whipping cream until soft peaks form. In a separate mixing bowl combine mascarpone cheese, honey and liqueur. Mix until softened with a wooden spoon. Lightly fold mascarpone cheese into whipped cream. Refrigerate until needed.
- For roasted mangoes: In large mixing bowl, combine mangoes, oil, brown sugar and cinnmaon. Heat a grill to medium temperature. Lightly spray grill grates with nonstick vegetable cooking oil. Grill mango slices approximately 2 minutes on each side or until they turn a deep caramel color. Cool mangoes; cut into small dice and set aside.
- Place mascarpone filling in pastry bag fitted with a star tip. On 4 dessert plates, drizzle chocolate syrup. Place a sugared wonton wrapper; decoratively pipe honey mascarpone filling in center of each wonton. Top with approximately 1 teaspoon roasted mangoes and several slices of raspberries. Repeat the process with a second sugared wonton wrapper and another layer of honey mascarpone cheese; garnish with mangoes and raspberries. Finish by placing a third wonton wrapper on the top of each dessert, decoratively piping with a rosette of honey mascarpone cheese.
- Lightly sift confectioners’ sugar over top of each Napoleon. Garnish with 3 raspberries and a sprig of fresh mint. Arrange 1/4 cup of oasted mangoes on plate. Serve immediately.
Photo courtesy of Crave Brothers Farmstead Cheese