Miso and Ginger Soba Noodles
Chef Keith Brunell
For this Asian noodle bowl, Chef Keith Brunell of Nordstrom Restaurants soaks cucumbers and celery in a rice vinegar mixture for a quick pickling and creates a miso-ginger vinaigrette to marinate the soba noodles. Both make-ahead steps infuse the dish with bold flavors. Avocado and watermelon radishes add touches of color to each bowl.
Quick-pickled cucumbers and celery
6 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
½ tsp. freshly grated turmeric
¼ tsp. kosher salt
10 oz. Japanese cucumbers, sliced 1/8-inch thick (2 cups)
5 oz. celery, sliced 1/8-inch thick (1 1/3 cups)
6 tbsp. fresh squeezed orange juice
5 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp. honey
1½ tbsp. white miso
1 tbsp. minced fresh ginger
1½ tsp. minced garlic
¾ tsp. kosher salt
½ cup canola oil
¼ cup sesame oil
1 tbsp. grated orange zest
½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
Marinated soba noodles
6 qt. water
2 tbsp. kosher salt
19 oz. soba noodles
1½ cups miso-ginger vinaigrette (recipe above)
4 cups arugula
6 ripe avocados, peeled, seeded and cut into wedges
2/3 cup peeled, thinly sliced watermelon radishes
2½ tbsp. furikake
- For pickled cucumber and celery, in large bowl, combine rice wine vinegar, turmeric and salt. Add cucumber and celery slices; mix to combine. Let stand for at least 15 minutes; refrigerate until needed.
- For miso-ginger vinaigrette, in food processor combine orange juiced, vinegar, honey miso, ginger, garlic and salt. Process 30 seconds until smooth. With machine running, gradually add canola and sesame oils until emulsified. Add orange zest and pepper; stir to combine. Set aside.
- For noodles, in large pot over high heat, bring water and of salt to a boil. Add soba noodles and cook according to package instructions.
- Immediately drain noodles and rinse with cold water until cool to the touch. Drain completely and pat dry with paper towels. Place noodles in a large mixing bowl and pour in 1½ cups miso-ginger vinaigrette. Mix until noodles are well coated with vinaigrette.
- Per order, place 1 cup marinated noodles in bowl; top with 1/3 cup arugula and ¼ cup quick-pickled cucumbers and celery. Arrange 3 wedges avocado and watermelon radish slices on top. Evenly dust with ½ tsp. furikake.
Photo courtesy of California Avocado Commission