Source: Bosch LLC, Broadview, Ill.
Iraj Fernando, executive chef for Southern Foodservice Management at this corporate account, says this pairing of sausage with pasta is a popular dish in the company’s executive dining room. Fernando will sometimes substitute a five-cheese ravioli for the spaetzle.
1 1/2 cups water
1/3 cup ricotta cheese
3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
- Sift flour and salt together.
- In separate bowl, whisk together the water, egg and ricotta cheese. Combine with the flour and salt and mix well. (Batter should not be too thin or too thick; it should break from the spoon and resemble a very wet bread dough.)
- Using a spaetzle grater, grate dough over boiling water (alternately, press dough through holes of a colander). The spaetzle will rise to the top of the water when almost done. Cook for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer cooked spaetzle to a bowl and keep warm. Continue with remaining spaetzle dough.
- To serve: Spoon spaetzle onto a plate. Spoon any sauce you like onto the spaetzle and top with an herbed chicken sausage. Serve with a side such as curried kale salad.