Roast Lamb Leg French Dip
Source: American Lamb Board
While leg of lamb may be a pricier cut, it goes a long way when layered on a sandwich. And it’s a protein that’s a bit unexpected on sandwiches—a point that can win over guests looking for a change of pace. Chef Critchley subs lamb for beef in a traditional French dip that’s suitable for dinner, adding upscale touches with caramelized onions and Greek yogurt sauce.
1 lamb leg bone
2 qt. beef broth
3 tbsp. oregano
4 tbsp. kosher salt, divided
1 tbsp. ground black peppercorns
2 tsp. ground pasilla chili
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
3 lb. boneless leg of lamb, rolled and tied
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
8 hoagie rolls
16 slices Swiss cheese
Caramelized Onions (recipe below)
Greek Yogurt Sauce (recipe below)
2 onions, thinly sliced
2 tbsp. butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup white wine
Greek Yogurt Sauce
1 cup Greek yogurt
1/3 cup pared, seeded, chopped cucumber
3 tbsp. chopped mint
1 tsp. hot pepper sauce
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. black pepper
- In saucepot, combine lamb bone with broth; simmer for 1 to 2 hours to infuse flavor. Strain liquid into mixing bowl and reserve.
- In small bowl, combine oregano, salt, peppercorns, chili, cinnamon and ginger. Place the lamb leg on a cookie sheet with a wire rack; rub evenly with the dry spices. Coat with oil; cover and marinate in refrigerator for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place lamb on center rack in oven; bake 40 to 60 minutes, until thermometer inserted into the leg reaches 130°F. Remove lamb from oven; let rest at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Prepare Caramelized Onions: In a saute pan, caramelize the onions in butter over medium heat; stir often, deglazing with the wine until thoroughly cooked and golden brown.
- Prepare Greek Yogurt Sauce: In medium bowl, combine yogurt, cucumber, mint, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper.
- To serve: Slice lamb as thinly as possible; lay slices into warm lamb broth in mixing bowl. Slice and open rolls, lining each with two cheese slices. Toast in oven until golden brown.
- Drain lamb jus off sliced lamb and reserve. Assemble slices of lamb on sandwiches; top with Caramelized Onions and Greek Yogurt Sauce. Serve with dipping bowl of lamb jus.