Try this unique twist on chili. This recipe includes an arsenal of spices, sauces and seasonings to layer flavors.
1 1/2 lb. pork loin roast or shoulder, cut into 3/4-in. cubes
8 oz. thick-cut bacon, sliced crosswise into 1/4-in. strips
1 large onion, cut in 1/2-in. dice
2 tbsp. chili powder
1 tbsp. smoked paprika
2 cans (14 1/2 oz. each) diced fire-roasted tomatoes
1 1/2 cups water
2 cans (15 oz. each) cannellini beans, drained
1/2 cup sour cream, optional
2 scallions, thinly sliced, optional
- In large saucepan or small stockpot over med. heat, cook bacon 8 to 10 min. until crisp, stirring occasionally. With slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels, and set aside.
- Add onion to bacon drippings; cook 2 min., stirring occasionally. Increase heat to med.-high; add pork. Cook, stirring occasionally, 6 to 8 min., until onions are crisp-tender.
- Stir in chili powder and paprika. Add tomatoes (with their juices) and water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer, and cook 35 to 45 min. until pork is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in beans and about two-thirds of the bacon; cook about 10 min. or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Add salt to taste.
- To serve, spoon chili into bowls and garnish with the remaining bacon, sour cream and scallions.