|Ingredients||Eggs, Vegetables, Dairy, Meat|
|Menu Part||Side Dish|
Blended with apple butter, onion and bread crumbs and baked in a rich, creamy allspice-and-honey flavored sauce; a combination your patrons are sure to love.
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 cups minced red onion
2 lb. pork sausage meat
2 lb. ground beef
4 cups Panko bread crumbs
2 cups MUSSELMAN’S® Apple Butter, divided
1/2 cup sour cream
4 large eggs, beaten
1 Tbsp. Kosher salt
2 tsp. ground black pepper
2 tsp. ground allspice
1 cup beef stock
1/4 cup honey
1/8 tsp. ground red pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (conventional) or 350°F (convection).
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; add onion and sauté for 4–5 minutes, until soft. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, mix the pork sausage, ground beef, Panko crumbs, 1 cup Musselman’s® Apple Butter, sour cream, eggs, salt, pepper and allspice. When it has cooled, mix in the onion mixture until evenly combined.
- Measure out the meatballs into 1-oz. portions, using a #30 (2-Tbsp.) scoop. Roll tight balls and place them into 3 full-sized hotel pans sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, close together, but not touching. You should have approximately 75–80 meatballs, about 25 per pan.
- Bake 15 minutes, stirring once during baking time. Shake pans to loosen meatballs.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together remaining 1 cup of apple butter with beef broth, honey and cayenne pepper. Pour the sauce over the top of the meatballs, making sure to coat each meatball, and return to oven for 8–10 minutes. Remove from heat and serve warm.
- Serve 3 meatballs per serving, over rice or noodles, if desired.