Source: Aravalli at Devon Energy Center
This housemade gelato is a great way to cool off this summer and to add to your dessert menu options.
6 1/2 cups whole milk
3/4 tsp. coarse, kosher salt
18 raw egg yolks
3/8 tsp. xanthan gum
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/4 tsp. dry unsweetened gelatin (whipped cream stabilizer)
12-oz. baking chocolate, bittersweet, chunk
1 tbsp. canola oil
- In medium saucepan, combine milk and salt. Heat milk over medium heat until bubbles form around edges of pan. Set aside and cover to keep hot.
- In large mixer with whisk attachment, blend sugar and egg yolks together until very thick and smooth. With machine running, gradually add hot milk and sprinkle in xanthan gum. Return mixture to saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with wooden spoon for 6 to 8 minutes, or until mixture thickens slightly and coats back of spoon.
- Pour mixture into hotel pans and cool in blast chiller, until below 40°F or overnight.
- In deep bowl, beat cream with whipped cream gelatin stabilizer until soft peaks form. Fold whipped cream into custard mixture. Transfer mixture into gelato maker and spin for about 30 minutes, until soft-serve.
- Melt chocolate in double boiler with oil until sauce is formed. Transfer to squeeze bottle. In last minute of spinning gelato, slowly stream in chocolate sauce to form "torn rags." Drizzle chocolate sauce on top to garnish.
- Pour into pre-frozen third pans and wrap immediately with plastic directly on gelato.