Add this creamy risotto to your recipe file. Fresh tomatoes and basil lighten up the indulgent rice dish.
1 1/2 lb. fresh tomatoes
3 cups chicken stock
1/4 tsp. saffron threads
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. butter
1/2 cup basil chiffonade
1/2 cup fine diced onion
1 cup Arborio Rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Bring large pot of water to boil. Core tomatoes and cut shallow X in bottom of each, then blanch in boiling water 10 seconds. Transfer with slotted spoon to ice bath to stop cooking.
- Peel tomatoes using tip of paring knife, then halve tomatoes crosswise. Squeeze juice from tomato halves through sieve into bowl, pressing and discarding seeds. Finely dice tomato flesh.
- Bring stock, water, saffron & tomato liquid to simmer in medium saucepan. Keep at a bare simmer
- Heat oil and butter in heavy saucepan over medium heat until foam subsides. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to turn golden, 10-15 minutes.
- Add rice and cook, stirring constantly until it turns opaque. Reduce heat to medium low. Add wine and cook, stirring until absorbed. Continue simmering and adding hot tomato saffron stock, 1 cup at a time, stirring frequently and letting each addition be absorbed before adding the next, until rice is tender and creamy looking, but still al dente.
- Stir in basil, tomato, cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Serve.