Apple Jus Lamb Loin Chops
Source: Executive Chef Greg Gettles, Piedmont Restaurant, Durham, N.C.
Lamb is a natural for spring menus. To bring simple loin chops on-trend, Chef Gettles plates them with freekeh—a protein-rich ancient grain that is seeing renewed interest on menus. Apples and squash balance the textures and flavors of the dish.
1 onion, peeled and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
6 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
1 teaspoon toasted coriander
1 teaspoon toasted black peppercorns
2 toasted whole cloves
4 sprigs thyme
2 sprigs rosemary
1 quart lamb or beef stock
Apple cider vinegar, to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste
Freekeh, lamb and butternut squash
2 1/2 cups chicken broth or water
1 cup freekeh
Salt and pepper
1 small butternut squash, seeded and very thinly sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 lamb loin chops, 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick
1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- For apple jus: In large pot over medium heat, sweat down onions in grapeseed oil and cook until caramelized. Add apples. Continue to cook on medium-low heat for 20 minutes, stirring constantly to avoid burning the pan.
- Add next six ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and allow to reduce by half and pass through a fine sieve. Adjust the seasoning with salt, pepper and vinegar.
- For freekeh: Bring broth and freekeh to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a low simmer and cover. Cook for 25 minutes until freekeh is tender and has absorbed broth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- For squash: Meanwhile, bring oven up to 400 F. Toss squash slices with olive oil and salt to taste. Arrange in a single layer on large, rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roast until golden and tender, 15-20 minutes.
- For lamb: Pat lamb chops dry with paper towels, then season liberally with salt and pepper on both sides. Heat grapeseed oil over high heat in large skillet. Place chops in pan and cook about 4 minutes per side.
- To serve, scoop some freekeh in the center of your serving dish. Top with squash slices and a lamb chop before gently pouring jus over the top. Serve immediately.