|Ingredients||Pasta, Vegetables, Meat|
|Day Part||Dinner, Lunch|
|Menu Part||Side Dish|
A unique take on everyone’s favorite comfort food. Earthy and complex gruyere cheese and Farmland real hickory-smoked bacon result in bold heartiness bite after bite. Ordinary becomes extraordinary for an anytime on-trend selection sure to become a signature menu item.
1 lb. penne pasta
1 1/2 lb. Farmland® Apple Cider Bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 cup butter, divided
1/2 cup flour
1 quart whole milk
4 cups (1 lb.) Gruyere cheese, shredded
2 cups (8 oz.) sharp white Cheddar cheese, shredded
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cups (8 oz.) asiago cheese, shredded
3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- Heat convection oven to 350°F. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Cook bacon until crisp; drain.
- Melt 6 tablespoons butter in large stock pot over medium-high heat. Whisk in flour; cook 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in milk; bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat. Stir in Gruyere and Cheddar cheese, salt, pepper, nutmeg and about 3/4 of the bacon. Mix until cheeses are melted and well combined. Pour into greased 1/2 hotel pan (or 13x9x2-inch baking dish).
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Combine with asiago cheese, bread crumbs and remaining 1/4 bacon; mix well. Sprinkle over surface of casserole.
- Bake at 350°F. for 20 minutes until surface is browned and bubbly.
Swiss cheese can be substituted for Gruyere for a milder flavor and less expensive dish.