A dessert to make mouths water. Perfectly golden peaks of meringue encasing chocolate cake and ice cream. Heaven on a plate.
4 oz. semisweet chocolate, melted
4 oz. butter, melted
2 1⁄4 cups sugar
3 whole eggs
1⁄4 tsp. cinnamon
1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3 cups coffee ice cream
8 large egg whites
Pinch of salt
- Grease a 9-in. square pan; line with greased parchment.
- Combine chocolate and butter in bowl; whisk in 3⁄4 cup sugar. Whisk in eggs, cinnamon, and salt. Sift cocoa over mixture; whisk until blended.
- Spread batter evenly into pan. Bake at 375°F 20 min., or until firm. Cool in pan and invert onto rack. Peel parchment.
- Cut cake into 6 equal pieces and place each in a small gratin dish; top with 1⁄2 cup ice cream. Cover; freeze.
- Beat whites with salt until they hold soft peaks. Gradually beat in 11⁄2 cups sugar, beating until stiff, glossy peaks form.
- Pipe meringue over ice cream and cake. Bake in 450°F oven 6 min., or until golden brown. Drizzle with caramel.