|Ingredients||Fruit, Dairy, Non-alcoholic Beverages|
Source: Recipe and photo courtesy of U.S. Highbush Blueberry Council
The flavors of summer shine in this energizing, nutrient-filled smoothie. With fresh blueberries, Greek yogurt and fresh mango, the drinkable snack has the added kick of chili powder and cayenne for flavor intrigue. The sweet blueberry compote tops off this two-layer refresher while making a visual statement on the table.
2 cups Blueberry Compote (recipe below)
12 oz. (1 1/2 cups) low-fat vanilla Greek yogurt, divided
1 large mango, peeled, pitted, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. cayenne
1. Prepare the Blueberry Compote; cover and chill.
2. In blender, combine 6 oz. yogurt, mango, chili powder and cayenne; blend until smooth.
3. Divide mango mixture between two 16-oz. cups; set aside.
4. Rinse blender and place Blueberry Compote and remaining yogurt in blender; blend until smooth. Check consistency; dilute with water or milk if needed.
5. Slowly pour half the blueberry mixture on top of each of the mango smoothies for a two-layer effect.
Yield: about 2 cups
16 oz. frozen blueberries, thawed
2 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. cornstarch
In large saucepan, toss blueberries with sugar and cornstarch. Bring to a boil, stirring; reduce heat to low and simmer until blueberries are heated through and sauce is slightly thickened. Add additional sugar if needed. Allow to cool; cover and chill.