Source: Cathy Dunlap, Eve’s Garden Café in Applegate, OR Courtesy of the California Avocado Commission
Here’s a hearty breakfast prep that will appeal to vegetarian customers as well as the bacon-and-egg set.
1 lb. 4 oz. red potatoes, diced to 1/2-in.
2 oz. red onion, chopped
2 1/2 oz. mushrooms, sliced
3 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded
2 oz. olive oil
1 tbsp. butter
2 tsp. rosemary, chopped
1 tsp. salt
3 oz. cherry tomatoes, halved
2 tbsp. sour cream
Fresh salsa, for serving
- Place diced potatoes in heavy pot and cover with water. Parboil potatoes over high heat about 6 to 7 min. (Potatoes should still be tender-crisp).
- Meanwhile, peel and pit avocado and cut in half. Dice half the avocado and slice the other half.
- Heat olive oil and butter over high heat in large skillet. Add potatoes, rosemary and salt. When potatoes start to brown, add onions. Cook for 3 min. Add mushrooms, continuing to cook on high until onions and mushrooms are done.
- Turn heat to low and stir in diced avocado. Add shredded cheese and let melt.
- To serve, divide potato mixture between two plates. Place avocado slices on top of each; top with cherry tomato halves. Garnish with 1 tbsp. sour cream per plate. Serve with salsa.