Fennel Ice Cream with Rice Paper Chips
Fennel ice cream forms the base of Chef Mehta’s twist on the sundae, which he tops with melted chocolate and slivered almonds. To get the mouthfeel of a cookie in a gluten-free format, Mehta dredges rice paper in chicory powder, then coats it with sugar ten times to create sweet crisps.
2 cups milk
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar, divided
2 fennel bulbs, roughly chopped
12 egg yolks
Rice Paper Chips:
1 package rice paper wrappers
Chicory powder, to taste
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup 66% chocolate chips, melted
1/4 cup slivered almonds
- In med. saucepan over high heat, mix milk, cream and ¼ cup sugar; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. When mixture boils, remove from heat; stir in chopped fennel. Let steep 30 min.
- Bring mixture back to a boil over med. heat. In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks and remaining ¼ cup sugar. Slowly pour in half the hot milk mixture; whisk until smooth.
- Transfer yolk mixture back into saucepan with milk mixture. Whisk 10 sec.; remove from heat.
- Cool mixture over ice bath; strain through a fine sieve into an ice cream machine. Process according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Dredge rice paper in chicory powder and coat with sugar ten times to create crisp chips.
- To serve, scoop ice cream into glasses; top with melted chocolate, almonds and rice paper chips.